Mamá Lulú’s Farm: a Model of Sustainability |
Mamá Lulú’s Farm: a Model of Sustainability
Mamá Lulú’s Farm: a Model of Sustainability

Mamá Lulú’s farm is a rural agro-ecological project that has become a model of alternative energy, biodiversity, appropriate technology, and natural building.

A leader in environmental education, this family-run eco-village is located in a temperate region of Colombia in the coffee triangle production zone.

On this one-hectare farm, the Hincapié family grows more than 300 plant species. Likewise, various kinds of monkeys, reptiles, and insects live on their land, and more than 42 types of birds pass through.

Some plants, like plantain, coffee, cacao, and tropical fruits, are to feed the Hincapié family. Others are used to feed the farm animals; others, like the Guadua, or thorny clumping bamboo, are for building and for maintaining soil humidity.

In the lower part of the farm, there is a natural well that produces approximately 6,000 liters of water a day. Of those 6,000 liters, the family uses 25% and the remaining 75% go to a river with the goal of conserving the water resources of the region.

The well water arrives at the house thanks to a traditional pumping system that works without electricity: an ariete. This hydraulic machine pumps up to two liters per minute.

Upon arriving, the water is filtered in a tank and is then ready for human consumption. Water is reused. The waters that come from the septic tank are also purified naturally with plants and bacteria.

Additionally, there is a bio-digester on the farm. With this technique the Hincapié family obtains organic fertilizer and natural gas from the excrement of their cattle and pigs.

This family takes from the earth all that they need for sustenance. Furthermore, they promote a trading system with their rural neighbours, offering seeds and training in organic agriculture, composting, and bamboo construction.

Anyone can visit this marvelous project. The farm offers lodging, a restaurant, guided visits, and volunteer work. It is well worth a visit – a true paradigm of respect for nature and for life!

Posted on June 19, 2015

Text
Translation